Supported Independent Living

Working towards your goals and meet your objectives.​

Supported Living Accommodation

Maple Community Services is an experienced provider of Supported Independent Living NDIS services. We have a variety of accommodation and support services to meet you or your loved one’s distinct personal needs. Furthermore, we connect you with medical professionals and other service providers so you or your loved one can build capacity skills for increased independence.

Whether you or your loved one experiences a disability, we have the support services available to ensure you can live your life to the fullest. With Maple, a better, more inclusive future lies ahead!

What is NDIS Supported Independent Living Accommodation?

Supported Independent Living, or SIL, refers to the NDIS program that funds support services for people with disabilities. SIL allows you or your loved one to live as independently as possible while benefiting from support services such as access to housing as well as therapies, personal daily care, and transportation. The goals of SIL are to provide you or your loved one with daily living assistance as well as aid in building skills to live the life you wish to live.

The services are provided to individuals who qualify for Supported Independent Living either within their own home or a shared house. Maple Community Services has over 20 dwellings located within the greater Sydney Region as well as Rural NSW that serve individuals with all requirements and needs.

We offer accommodation services including Short Term and Medium Term Accommodation and Supported Independent Living. Additionally, we work with SDA providers right across Australia to ensure we can meet all your needs.

SDA is one of many support options available from Maple Community Services through partnerships and, if an NDIS participant is eligible, can be covered by a specialised category of funding for SDA.

Types of Supported Independent Living

Depending on your or your loved ones needs and preferences, we can provide or coordinate several types of Supported Independent Living.

NDIS Short Term Accommodation

NDIS funds short term accommodation for situations in which you or your loved one needs housing and support for a short period. While you or your loved one is residing in short term housing, Maple provides the same high standards of support for daily living.

Respite Accommodation

Respite accommodation funded by the NDIS makes it possible for carers to have a brief time away from their duties of caring for their loved one with a disability. NDIS participants can also use respite accommodation to spend time away from their family.

Assisted Living

Assisted living housing is best suited for people with disabilities who need help with daily life, including cooking, cleaning, and personal care. You or your loved one receives this support as a part of living in the apartment or home.

Disability Independent Living

Disability independent living accommodation is for people with disabilities who can live independently with some support. Often, homes are shared with other people who have similar disabilities or support needs.

Disability Group Homes

When you or your loved one chooses group homes and support with Maple, you get help with daily living and other Supported Independent Living needs. At Maple, we want to ensure you or your loved one’s comfort and compatibility with others in the group home, so we work to match you or your loved one with a home that is most appropriate for you.

Disability Housing

Disability housing, also called Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), is housing for people with special needs in disability care. SDA provides for specialist housing options, such as for people with complex disabilities or extreme impairments in daily functioning. This program funds specialised housing designed to meet unique and individual needs.

Why Choose Maple for Supported Independent Living?

Our Clients prefer Maple primarily because we provide what they need to live life as they choose. We are a person-centred provider, putting your or your loved one’s wishes and decisions first whenever possible.

Our highly experienced team members can develop a plan with you to support all your needs under our core supports specialties and work with you to build personal skills to enable you to live as independently as possible whether you’re living in shared facilities or in your own home.

For our Supported Independent Living clients, we offer several types of accommodation and support services you or your loved one can receive there. If you or your loved one are considering moving to a group home or other type of Supported Independent Living in Sydney, we can help to make the change.

We help you navigate the funding for Supported Independent Living (SIL) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), making the process easier and more manageable. We even go one step further than most SIL providers, moving beyond basic housing options to coordinate or provide the independent living services that allows you or your loved one to live and thrive in a more independent setting.

Who Is Eligible for Supported Independent Living?

People in Australia who have disabilities may be eligible for Supported Independent Living. In most cases, people with high support needs are eligible. However, the NDIS must approve your support services as reasonable and necessary. Most people who qualify for SIL have moderate to high levels of disability, although some with milder disabilities may be approved.

Supported Independent Living Application Process

The main goal of the application process for a Supported Independent Living program is to determine your needs for services. As such, you will need to be as involved as possible. After all, no one knows your needs better than you.

Many factors go into the evaluation of what is necessary and reasonable support in each specific case. The NDIS considers your or your loved one’s:

The NDIS relies on evidence and advice from Allied Health Professionals to determine if a participant is eligible for SIL or SDA (Specialist Disability Accommodation) funding. The areas that health professionals must address are the following:

You will require a written report by an Occupational Therapist which allows for up to 20 hours of funding within your NDIS Plan from the Improved Daily Living category. The report should address why there is no other access to suitable housing options or why your situation may have changed. An example of a situational change may be ageing parents who are no longer able to support the participant.

A psychology/GP report is also useful during the application process to indicate why the participant is a suitable candidate for SIL, and a Support Coordinator will need to submit a detailed housing solutions report with a summary of relevant information, as well as outlining a transition plan for the move.

Lastly, you or your loved one, family members, and any carers that help may be asked to discuss your or your loved one’s situation and disabilities. Thus, the evaluators get a broad view of you or your loved one’s needs, and abilities. Maple is happy to assist you throughout the application or reapplication process, to ensure the application is as complete and accurate as possible.

At the end of this process, the NDIS decides what types of services will benefit you or your loved one.

You can rely on Maple as experts in helping our clients gain SIL approval whenever it is appropriate. We are happy to help you with your or your loved one’s SIL referral. With our fast turnaround time on referrals, we can help you get started more quickly than most SIL providers.

How Do I Get Supported Independent Living Funding?

You or your loved one needs to apply for the funding. Your Support Coordinator will guide you through this process. They will hold a meeting with you to discuss your or your loved one’s needs and circumstances. During your planning meeting, you need to explain to your planner why SIL is reasonable and necessary to your individual situation. Feel free to reach out to our support team at Maple for any advice and questions you may have surrounding the process and we can assist you in making the application.

How to Apply for Supported Independent Living?

The NDIS aims to provide better access to high quality, personalised, and innovative supports and services to enhance the independence and social and economic participation of people with disabilities, as well as their carers when applicable.

The NDIS funds several critical services for people with Bipolar Disorder. These include personal care support, community access support, nutritional support, skills development, transport, household tasks, and behavioural support. In addition to this, Plan Management and Support Coordination Funding are almost always offered to NDIS clients when they receive their plan. The type and amount of funding available is determined in part by the level of severity of an individual’s disability.

By partnering with Maple Community Services, together, we can help you identify your priorities and outline a support plan that provides the specific services you need, enabling you to lead a fulfilling life.

How Do I Know Where Supported Independent Living Vacancies Are?

Finding the most suitable Supported Independent Living vacancies in Australia can be a difficult and frustrating process. However, at Maple, you can rely on our friendly accommodation team to assist you from start to finish.

We work with you to find the best match for you or your loved one, so that you or your loved one can live in a home where needs are met and you or your loved one can enjoy your version of a pleasing independent life. We consider personal preferences, such as strict nutritional diet requirements and the type of home desired to live in, as well as unique support needs.

What Is the Difference Between SIL and SDA?

A SIL provider manages the supports you or your loved one needs to live independently in the accommodation. This can include managing staff who work in the home, help with meal preparation and cleaning, assistance with personal care, and help with community access.

SDA is for individuals that require properties with specific requirements (e.g. accessible bathrooms, corridors of specific width for wheelchairs, ramp access etc). You will receive specific funding for this in addition to the SIL funding within your or your loved ones NDIS Plan.

Maple has partnerships with SDA Providers right across the country, to ensure we are always able to accommodate our communities' needs.

What Is the Difference Between Supported Living and Independent Living?

Supported Living refers to Supported Living Accommodation as well as the support received there. Supported Living is different from independent living in that you or your loved one receives a higher degree of support. Those who are eligible for supported Living usually have disabilities that present challenges for which they need assistance.

Someone who needs Supported Living might require occupational or speech therapy. They may even need someone with them throughout the day and night to take care of their physical and mental health needs. At any level of disability, they can benefit from emotional support, outings, or help with specialised transportation or shopping.

Please consider speaking with one of our SIL specialists to learn more about finding Supported Independent Living vacancies.

The Maple Commitment

Here at Maple, we are committed to achieving your goals! Providing Support is the backbone of our purpose, we listen and act in realtime, and we empower our community through equal opportunities. It is our focus on building relationships with each and every one of our individuals, that sets us apart from the rest.